Beaufort Arms Hotel / Lone Star Saloon

Beaufort Arms Hotel / Lone Star Saloon

The Beaufort Arms Hotel was located at 167 Beaufort Street, on the corner of Ellen Street (now Newcastle).

This building was demolished and is currently the location of an IGA supermarket.

The first entry found in the Perth rate books is in 1884, when the property was owned by J R Mews, a contractor. It consisted of a house, stables and paddock. He then sublet to Richard Bowyer Smith, who occupied the house and land which faced onto Beaufort Street. Mews occupied the stables and grounds. It is noted that his occupation changed to publican. (R B Smith has an interesting story of his own as by 1876 he had invented the stump jump plough, an agricultural tool that became invaluable for clearing land.)

In 1886 Stephen Henry Parker, lawyer and politician, purchased this property, amongst many others in Perth. He was a member of the WA Legislative Council, Chairman of the Perth City Council and later Mayor of Perth, and then Colonial Secretary from 1892 to 1894.

John Joseph Smith, a publican, took up residence with his family in the house and grounds in 1886, following the purchase by Parker. An application was made to the Licensing Board to convert the house to a hotel to be named the Beaufort Arms Hotel. Permission was granted, provided an extension be made for accommodation.

Subsequent owners of the hotel were:

Stanley Brewery Company from the early 1900s.This brewery advertised its beer as ‘Nutritious Body Ale. Superior to any imported” costing 4 pounds per hogshead (54 imperial gallons.)

Westralia Hotels Pty Ltd from around 1934 to 1962.

Swan Brewery from 1963 onwards.

Licensees changed almost annually, although in 1908 William Albert Otto Schruth became publican and remained there until 1920. During World War I he faced some issues. According to the “The Migration Heritage of NSW” website: 

“German business and individuals were under constant scrutiny.  The Alhambra Café, Schruth’s Beaufort Arms Hotel and Mrs Carlhausen’s Wine Saloon in 46 Beaufort Street, Perth were under surveillance. It was reported that the wine saloon was frequented by a number of Alien Enemies and Naturalised Aliens. Amongst them are a large percentage that are disloyal.”

In 1916 there was a major disturbance in the city involving New South Wales soldiers. Some went to the Beaufort Arms Hotel. The Northern Times, 8 January 1916 reported:

 A small section of the rioters demanded free drinks at the Beaufort Arms Hotel in Beaufort Street, and the proprietor had no alternative but to grant the request; but when they attempted to induce Schruth, the proprietor, to lend them half a sovereign he demurred. They then broke out, and some went outside where they chanced upon a butcher's cart and seized the contents, and with strings of sausages, etc., went back to the bars and played havoc among the bottles and glasses, which were soon flying in all directions. The police eventually quelled this disturbance.

1969 (Courtesy SLWA, Battye Library 113149PD)

1969 (Courtesy SLWA, Battye Library 113149PD)

In 1970 the name changed to the New Beaufort Hotel where Bed and Breakfast was advertised for “$4.50 with concessions for sporting clubs”. 

By 1977 the hotel name appears to have changed back to the Beaufort Hotel.

However, 1981 saw a big name change to the Lone Star Saloon, with the accommodation provided as City Backpackers HQ.

Lone Star Saloon and City Backpackers HQ, 1996 (Courtesy SLWA, Battye Library b3970412_2)

Lone Star Saloon and City Backpackers HQ, 1996 (Courtesy SLWA, Battye Library b3970412_2)

Both were closed down in November 1996 and the building was demolished to make way for the Northbridge Tunnel.

Read the full article written by Michelle Vercoe and edited by Julie Davidson here.

If you have any further information or photographs on this hotel please contact us!

Please contact us at local.history@vincent.wa.gov.au if you can add to our research.